Saturday, March 5, 2011

Memories in Music

     Isn't it crazy how one song can make you fondly, or not so fondly, remember someone from your past?  How one song can bring back a memory of a time or place from your past?  Music is such an important part of our lives even though most of us don't think twice about it.  I pretty much constantly have some kind of music going on in the background all the time.  Then that one song will come on and my mind is suddenly in a different place and time, remembering all the things that make that song special or not so special.

     This post came to be because I was driving the girl to school this morning and this song came on the radio...






    It reminds me of dancing with my dad at my wedding.  It reminds me of him asking if HE could lead.  I've always had a different relationship with my dad.  We can argue like nobody's business and three minutes later be hugging and laughing.  Then thoughts of my dad take me to this song...






     He used to sing it in the car, but would change the words to, "Little diddy 'bout Jennie and Kerri Ann..."  Then that would start us changing the rest of the lyrics to pertain to us.  My dad did this with a lot of songs.  My sister and I commented one day about how my dad had a word for every song, which he replied to with...





He's a funny guy, my dad.



     Another song that reminds me of my wedding, more specifically of my husband is this one...




    I have memories attached to so many songs, but mostly songs will remind me of a person, which then starts a tornado in my brain of different memories of that person.


     I can't hear a song from Grease II without thinking of Carrie.  We stayed up until 6 am one night when she spent the night with me and wrote down every lyric to every song in that movie.  Then we started the movie over and started working out the dance moves.  I was just singing this song in the car the other day...





     I started laughing thinking about us as young girls and the girl asked me why I was laughing so I told her the story.  She laughed too.

     I think of my sister just about every single time I hear a Michael Jackson song.  Especially this one... 






     I will never, as long as I live, forget her singing this on karaoke night at the bowling alley lounge.  There was our group, which consisted of maybe 8 people, a bartender, the dj, and maybe 3 other people in the lounge.  My sister, as she usually does, entertained us so thoroughly that she gave Michael himself a run for his money.   

     I think of Stacy every time I hear this song...





     It reminds me of the wonderful "mix tape" cd she made for all of the girls I met online and then met in Gatlinburg.  I can't share a lot of details of those trips, because my parents may be reading, but believe me when I tell you they were two of my most favorite getaways. I can't hear a New Kids on the Block song without thinking of our first trip.  I refuse to link any of those songs.  I just can't force myself to.


    I have a lot of songs that remind me of memories with the girl.  Billie Jean is one now because she loves that song as much as her aunt.  This one was one of our first "songs" together...




     That song is a twofer because I think of the girl every time I hear it and at the same time I think of a friend's little girl who thought the artist's name was Cyndi Lobster.  Kids are so funny.


     I hope the girl remembers all the music that filled our home, our car, and pretty much everywhere else we are.  I hope she looks back on her life and has a beautiful soundtrack to remind her of all the wonderful times she had.

No comments:

Post a Comment